Call Judy:(707) 266 8211, expert in Napa Valley real estate
- •For up-to-date information on the housing market in Napa see my article below.
- •Explore my newsletters (News tab in the top navigation bar). Read snippets below and archived articles to the right.
- •Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
Recommendations for those looking for a home for sale in Napa or for those who want to sell a home in Napa Valley:
- • “The task of selling with the contingency to find a replacement property seemed daunting and complicated and Judy’s expertise and attention to detail was paramount in the successful closure of both escrows on the same day. She advised on the best way to present my house for the market and within 7 days of listing I had 3 offers, one of which I accepted. She then helped me find my replacement property, for which I had fairly specific criteria. The whole process could not have gone any smoother. I would highly recommend Judy for any real estate needs.” J. Mepham, 11-2014
- • “Having been in sales all my adult life I feel I know a good honest salesperson when I come in contact with one… Judy Naimo is the best of the best… In the end everyone was very happy. both my wife and I and the buyers. Judy always strives for a win-win outcome. Could write about her all day. Truly the best of the best.“
JUDY’S COMMITMENT TO YOU
As you read below, you will understand why Judy Naimo is highly recommended:
“My commitment to you:
Purchase and sell real property quickly and profitably, with less disruption to your family.
Let’s develop a strategy together that:
• Suits your individual needs
• Reduces the chaos and confusion created in most real estate transactions
• Works extensively with you to negotiate a great price for your purchase
• Makes your home more appealing to buyers
• Analyzes rental inventory and financial opportunities
• Fits your long term goals
• Creates a plan to save you time, money and taxes
A couple is planning to tour the United States in a travel trailer during their first few years of retirement. They are going to sell their current home now and purchase another home when they finish their travels.
An interesting exercise is to determine the optimum time of selling the home: now or when they're ready to buy their replacement home.
If they intend on traveling for more than three years, then, it may be a good decision to sell prior to the sojourn to avoid paying taxes on the gain in their home. IRS allows for a temporary rental of a principal residence while still keeping the $250,000/$500,000 capital gains exclusion intact. A homeowner must own and use a home for two out of the previous five years which means that it could be rented for up to three years, but it would need to be sold and closed before that three-year window expires.
If the travel will be less than three years, there is an option of selling now or later. Using the example below, the homeowner sold the home, paid their expenses and invested the proceeds in a three-year certificate of deposit until the replacement home was purchased.
As an alternative, if the homeowner rented the home, not only would they have income, the home would continue to appreciate and the unpaid balance would go down resulting in larger net proceeds. Based on a 5% appreciation and continued amortization of the mortgage, the net proceeds could easily be $40,000 more.
Obviously, there are a lot of considerations that affect the decision to sell now or later but in an appreciating real estate environment, being without a home for several years could affect the financial position of the owner in the replacement property. It is certainly reasonable to look at various alternatives before making a decision. Call me at (707) 266-8211 to help you look at the different possibilities and talk to your tax professional.
There’s A Lot Of Pent-Up Demand for Real Estate in Napa Valley
Here is an update on the housing market in Napa Valley. All the reasons that existed before about why homeowners in Napa are moving still exist. Marriage, divorce, birth, death, job transfer, and tax planning are the reasons Napa home sellers are moving too. In other words, there is a constant supply of home sellers and home buyers. You may be curious to know what happens when the Napa housing inventory is the lowest it’s been since 2005.
Thinking about Buying a Napa home for sale?
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda,
Buying a home in Napa is a big decision. Your family dynamics will undoubtedly dictate the right time to purchase a home. However, it’s important to consider this when you are planning.
Let’s imagine that a property appreciates about 12%; for example, the price of $350,000 goes up to $400,000.
For More Helpful Information for Napa home buyers
You can request a HomeBuyers Guide in the right sidebar. In it you’ll find tips on Buying a home:
• The reasons why you should obtain a prequalified loan before you start looking for a home for sale in Napa
• Why it’s a good idea to get a mortgage loan consultant
• Fully understand what a FICO score is and the factors that affect it.
A Homesellers Guide is also available on request.
- Learn the importance of a home inspection before you put your home up for sale
- The factors that go into determining the asking price of a home
- What is worth fixing or remodeling: Landscaping? Kitchen remodel? Entertainment center? Get the answers from Judy.
WHAT NAPA HOMEOWNERS SHOULD KNOW
Standard or itemized
Details about mortgage interest payments on 2018 standard or itemized deductions schedule.
Inventory Continues to be a Challenge
Explanation for why it’s a sellers’ market.
Your Refund could be the Difference
How your tax refund can affect your home purchase decision.
Fair Skies on Horizon
How the new tax laws still favor home purchase.
Looking over interest rates since 1968 to now gives the sense that anything below 8% is good.
The Right Agent and the Right Home
Why getting the right agent is helpful for a home purchase.
Ready for Retirement
Details about how retirement planning should include purchasing a home to rent.
On this website for Napa Valley real estate information, Judy intends to be a resource for whatever information you may need as a buyer or seller of a Napa home for sale as well as current homeowner. Weekly articles are added and then archived (under News) that focus on topics related to one or more these groups of people such are renting versus buying, winter maintenance tips, how personal finance affect what mortgage rate are available to you, etc. As a start, you can check out the archived materials through the sidebar under “Archives.”
You can read information created especially for the Home Buyer and for the Home Seller by making a request for the relevant guide or by reading the information filed under each category in the menu. And then checking the list of archived articles where there is even more.